Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Opening Day

Had a blast last week at Basic Training Retreat up at Camp Berea. We got to play on the water toys that they had (slide and water trampoline) before packing them away for the season. Bonfire's each night, billards, fusball, yoga, and an awesome talent show. I spun my devil sticks (to some Justice beats) for one part of the talent show, joined another recruit Avrum juggling pins and rings, and did a short improv skit with Kirby and other Chris. But the most exciting part of BTR was finding out what team i will be serving with for the next nine months. Seabrook Timberland Ubuntu Team serving in the Seabrook Middleschool!!! (with a lot of parnership with Timberland service partners and mentors). After observation period, I will be working with an entire grade (either 5, 6, 7, or 8th) tutoring and supporting all, mentoring a single student, and planning and executing afterschool programs (among other things).

Tomorrow we get our uniforms and go to an open house for our middleschool. Friday and monday are our opening day ceremonies. I am representing City Year on monday with a speech to our VIP guests - corporate sponsors, NH govenor, Portsmouth mayor, and other special guests. I just found out yesterday and am kinda freaking out, even though i shouldn't be.



The picture is of our team helping Grace to cross a swinging log (team building at Camp Berea). The goof on the right with the red bandana is my roommate Clay.

I'm off to work on my speech.....

No comments: